Tuesday, January 13, 2009

First 20 Birds of 2009

Sometwhere around Thursday of last week I finally got a good look at Dark-eyed Juncos (that would be slate-colored juncos for all you bird-banders, splitters or old-schoolers) on the side of the road and also a lone bird under the feeders at work. Monday the 12th of January I had my first school outreach of the year which is where I pick-up a lof of my birds. I get to drive the work van to a lot of schools and I take mostly country roads. I have a great high vantage point to see a lot of roadside birds. If I'm lucky I get to see Snow Buntings, Horned Larks, Northern Shrikes, and more. Of course, I haven't seen any of these yet. I also have my fingers crossed to come upon some Lapland Longspurs this year which would be a lifer. True to form, I did add one new species for the year on my first outing to a school. Right after leaving the center I saw a pair of female Ring-necker Pheasants in a corn field. That makes 20 birds in 12 days. I beat last year by one day.

2009 Running Bird Tally
19. Junco
20. Ring-necked Pheasant

No comments: