Thursday, May 01, 2008

TOWHEE!


One day after I saw an elusive eastern towhee in the woods on out on our highway clean-up, guess who showed up at work? I didn't have my new camera yet but I got this decent shot anyhow. Today I was at Lake Calhoun for the Great Strides walk for Cystic Fibrosis (more on that later). Almost as soon as I got out of the car I saw a little bird on the ground. It was a black-throated green warbler! It was so close I didn't even need binoculars. I guess being at the lake it was used to people. Being a migrator you wonder if it spends time near people in the south as well. The barn swallows were in full force at the lake and I also saw several pairs of horned grebes. There was a raft of coots hanging out on the west side of the lake.

2008 Running Bird Tally
79 Black-throated Green Warbler
80 Barn Swallow
81 Horned Grebe

No comments: